Monday, April 10 marks Hugo Grotius’ 434th birthday and we at the UGA Law Library are excited to get our geeky party on. In case you don’ t know who Hugo Grotius is, he pretty much laid out the foundations for international law as we know it today. For his lasting contributions, the Law Library will hold a birthday party in the Rare Book Room where we will show off recently acquired Grotius materials and have yummy snacks. For more info on Hugo Grotius, below are five fun facts all about the birthday boy.
5 Fun Facts about Hugo Grotius
- He entered the University of Leiden when he was eleven years old.
- He published his first book when he was sixteen years old.
- For his involvement in the intra-Calvinist disputes of the Dutch Republic, Grotius was sentenced to life imprisonment but….
- escaped ( with his wife) by hiding in a book chest and fled to Paris.
- Apparently you can see the very chest he used to escape in a museum in the Netherlands.
Read more about Grotius at: https://libguides.law.uga.edu/grotius