Carl E. Sanders (May 15, 1925 – November 16, 2014)

The University of Georgia this week mourns the passing of former Georgia Governor and Georgia Law alumnus Carl E. Sanders (J.D. ’48). Sanders was for years a staunch supporter of UGA and of the law school. Here at the law library, we are especially grateful as it was due mainly to his effort that state funding was secured for an expansion of the law school that included a new, larger, space for the library, which opened in 1967. He also secured $1 million in state funds to buy books for the library, and in 1987 he made a personal gift to create the Carl Sanders Law Library Fund to support the facility. The main reading room today bears his name.

The Main Reading Room today with inset photo of then-governor Carl Sanders (2nd from left) on October 17, 1964 at the groundbreaking for the expansion of Hirsch Hall which would include a new, larger, law library.

The Main Reading Room today with inset photo of then-governor Carl Sanders (2nd from left) on October 17, 1964, at the groundbreaking for the expansion of Hirsch Hall which would include a new, larger, law library. Inset photo courtesy of the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library/University of Georgia Libraries.

View correspondence, campaign material, speeches, press releases, photographs, and audiovisual materials related to Carl Sanders’ political and professional careers in the Carl E. Sanders Papers at the Richard B. Russell Library for Political Research and Studies.

This entry was posted in Lost in the Stacks (Reference). Bookmark the permalink.