Prof. Núria Casellas writes about semantics, ontologies, and legal knowledge management in Semantic Enhancement of Legal Information… Are We Up for the Challenge? in the VoxPopuLII blog from Cornell Law School.
As the blog editors note:
For many of us, the technical aspects of ontologies and the Semantic Web are unfamiliar. Yet these technologies are increasingly being incorporated into the legal information systems that we use everyday, so it’s in our interest to learn more about them. For those of us who would like a user-friendly introduction to ontologies and the Semantic Web, here are some suggestions:
- Tom Gruber, Where the Social Web Meets the Semantic Web (video);
- Sandro Hawke, How the Semantic Web Works;
- Kevin Hemenway, The Semantic Web: 1-2-3;
- Jim Hendler et al., Introduction to the Semantic Web (video);
- Ivan Herman, Introduction to the Semantic Web;
- Brian Lowe, Introduction to Ontologies: Adding Meaning to Metadata;
- Marek Obitko, Introduction to Ontologies and Semantic Web;
- Sean B. Palmer, The Semantic Web: An Introduction;
- Ioana Robu et al., An Introduction to the Semantic Web for Health Sciences Librarians;
- Barry Smith, Ontology: An Introduction: Video: How to Build an Ontology;
- University of Manchester, CO-ODE, Tutorial: A Practical Introduction to Ontologies and OWL;
- Dr. Adam Z. Wyner, Legal Ontologies Spin a Semantic Web.